Sunday, May 27, 2012

Not that kind of shrub


IMAG0633.jpg, originally uploaded by fudh4x0r.

I just strained my first batch of shrub. (A colonial era method for preserving fruit where you steep it with vinegar and sugar and drink it later mixed with water and possibly a little hooch.)

I made it with a bag of frozen mixed berries, 3/4 cup turbinado sugar, and 1 1/2 cups vinegar. I basically chucked it in the fridge, giving it a little shake now and again over the course of 3 weeks. I am having 4T in a pint of club soda. It's delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I'm popping over here from reading the Yarn Harlot's latest post's comment section to say hey to a fellow Nebraskan - I'm from Omaha, and went to school in Lincoln.

    P.S. That 'shrub' sounds delicious. I've heard of similar mixes and thought about trying one out this July/August when it gets REALLY hot around here (this stuff lately's been a piece o' cake).

    Cheers,
    Chelle

    ReplyDelete